The Concrete Building


It was a five-stories building
With unpainted concrete walls and a view out the sunset
We sat down on the dusty sofa
Cushions and duvets, yet I felt restless.

I still remember what you wore
It was that grey hoodie you always had on
I didn't notice then, but now...
I wish I could shrug into it
To feel you there, even just for a second more.
We sat there to watch the sun sets
To have hues of orange freeze into darkness
Got told by one of the ghosts not to make a mess
We were just deers in the headlight.  

It was a five-stories building
But now I'm at the bottom, you're in the silhouettes.
Moonless night, a unfinished construction
Only bare cement and moldy staircases
Guess I overdosed.

Tell me, baby, why is it always you
Who haunts me
In my brightest of days
and most feverish of dreams.
Tell me, baby, in the words I can't say
You were deaf and I was blind. 

It was a five-stories building
No roof, no window
Just voids and a skinning cold
Liminal, unspoken sorrow.
I didn't know why I was running
    towards the decrepit, chasing
    towards the fogotten.
A nostalgic claustrophobia
    under the open sky. 
I just knew there was someone to look for
    —someone to find.

Then, one hell of an alleyway
A labyrinth
Its moldy, yellowed wall
And the stairs
That seems to stretch on forever
And floors
with locked doors.
The brutalist apartments
no one's here yet we're all trapped in fear. 

The dream stood still
A muffled scream
    —I bled
then stirred awake.

I choked and sobbed
Wishing I could get swallowed by the voids
To save you
No matter the distance.

You never dream about me
But maybe, just maybe
You've seen sunset in that room
And were reminded of me. 
*****
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Note: This has been in my draft for a long time. I dreamed about that building. Woke up and decided i had to write about it lol. It was such a weird experience, I kept getting lost on the staircase and old apartment buildings. Wrote this with someone in mind back then. Btw this piece was written back in February but I didn't publish it until May. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rotten Honey

Moon Through My Window

You, Him, and everything in between